Hello, beautiful souls! It's Dr. Sunny here. I hope you are finding ways to beat this summer heat. I’ve been setting reminders on my phone to remind myself to drink plenty of water. Especially before a speaking engagement. During the past few months, I’ve been quite the traveler, attending workshops, conventions, and a family reunion. While waiting in the airport or on the plane, I often chat with passengers sitting beside me. They usually ask me, “What do you do?” When I tell them I am a presentation skills coach, they often share their experience about a public speaking class they took in high school or college and how they either loved or hated it. Or some will tell me, “I want to speak up, but the fear just holds me back." Well, let me tell you, my friend, I've been there too. We've all had moments when our voices tremble, we forget what we want to say, or we fear being judged. But guess what? We're in this together, and today, I've got some practical tips to help you unlock your inner communicator and rise above those speaking challenges!
1. Dig Deep and Understand Your Fear: It's time to get real with yourself. What's causing that racing heart and those butterflies in your stomach? Identify your fears – whether it's judgment, rejection, or the unknown. When you name it, you can tame it.
2. Practice Mindfulness for Inner Calm: Breathe with me now – in through your nose, out through your mouth. Mindfulness is your secret weapon against nervous jitters. Find a quiet corner, meditate, visualize success, and watch as your inner calm grows.
3. Baby Steps, Big Impact: Nobody expects you to run a marathon in a day. Start small. Chat with a friend, share your thoughts in a safe space, and gradually step out of your comfort zone. With each step, you're building your speaking muscles. (And while you’re at it, you can train for that marathon!).
4. Prep Like a Pro: Let me tell you, preparation is key. Research, jot down your key points, and even rehearse in front of a mirror – trust me, I've done it a million times. The more prepared you are, the more your confidence will soar.
5. Embrace Your Beautiful Imperfections: Here's a truth bomb – perfection is overrated! Every stumble, every pause, they're all part of your unique journey. Embrace your imperfections because they're what make you beautifully human. Think progress, not perfection.
6. Picture Yourself Slaying It: Close your eyes and see yourself shining. Visualize yourself speaking confidently, holding your audience's attention, and leaving them inspired. When you see it, you can be it. If you can say it, you can slay it!
7. Seek Feedback and Grow: Don't be shy to ask for feedback from those you trust. They're your mirrors, reflecting your growth and showing you where you can shine even brighter.
8. Join a professional group: Toastmasters or public speaking groups? They're like your cheering squad, always ready to lift you up. These spaces are where you'll find your tribe – a community of folks who've been where you are and are ready to support you.
9. Flip the Script on Negative Thoughts: It's time to challenge those negative voices in your head. When you hear "I can't," reply, "I CAN, and I WILL." Replace thoughts like "I'll mess up" with more positive ones like "I'm capable of sharing my ideas effectively." Remind yourself that you've got the power to turn doubts into dreams.
10. Celebrate YOU: Every step forward is worth a celebration! Remember to give yourself a pat on the back, even if it's just a tiny victory. You're growing, learning, and stepping into your greatness.
Remember, my friend; you are not alone in this journey. Unlocking your inner communicator takes time, patience, and plenty of self-love. With these practical tips, you're not just speaking up – you're rising up. Your voice matters, and the world is waiting to hear it. So, go out there and shine your light because your inner communicator is a gift that deserves to be shared!
If you are ready to work on your communication and presentation skills, here are three ways to get started:
1. Take my speaker confidence assessment.
2. Attend my free Speak with Confidence and Ease workshop.
3. Schedule a 20-minute strategy call with me.